16 Sep 2012 3 Comments
Three new Shirokuma Sets On Soundcloud !
For bookings or queries please contact : firstname.lastname@example.org
07 May 2012 Leave a comment
The brand new album on :
Praise for previous Shirokuma releases and live performances :
“Expect to be surprised, seduced and bedazzled ” – City Life
“Maverick genius….Makes us want to have sex in dressing up clothes.” – NME
“Perfectly formed flights of artistic fancy” – DJ Mag
“Single Of the Week” – BBC 6 Music
“A deliciously hammed up performance…fall in love with Shirokuma.” – BBC
“A true one-off ” – Manchester Music
The brand new album by Shirokuma. “Abandonware” is available to stream below, with a brief description of each track and lyric quotation where applicable.
SHIROKUMA – “ABANDONWARE” …a brief guide…
1.DON’T BREAK MY STRIDE !
“Psychopaths up on the cycle paths…”
The album opens with a miffed electro-grunge door kicker. It’s about the frustration of being held up when you are in a rush to get somewhere. It features a hip hop duet vocal between Shirokuma and Caro Snatch (“One-woman electronic avalanche” – bbc.co.uk). The song is designed to soundtrack a purposeful weave through the crowds !
2. A PROPOS DE POE
“Je suis Edgar Poe, Allan Poe, Le Corbeau…(L’Oiseau)…”
A short, sweet slab of surrealist disco pop. This is a tribute to Edgar Allan Poe, sung in French over a catchy synth riff. Indebted to the sillier side of Serge Gainsbourg, the track again features both Shirokuma and Caro Snatch in a call and response duet.
3. WHEN THE DOLL COMES ALIVE (ALL THE PEOPLE START TO DIE)
“So, you never atoned ?”
The noisiest and most misanthropic song on the album, but packed with black comedy and punky hooks. Featuring an 80′s horror killer doll narrative and some Black Francis inspired hollering, the track is also spurred on by experimental vocalist Miss Hypnotique’s heartless refrain of “Finish him ! Finish him off !”.
4. EXPLORE THE OCEAN FLOOR
“The staircase, that leads you to my birth place…my city by the shore”
A simple aquatic pop song with an underwater staircase interlude. A brief vocal tour of a submerged city. To a disco beat, of course.
5. SUNSET TEMPLE
“The Temple Of Tempo…this is where we go”
Summery surf-guitar pop number with hyperactive drums. Shirokuma reunites with original vocal collaborator Naoko Omae (DJ Sexyfood) to salute the sunset over the temple of Poseidon on the Greek coast of the Aegean Sea . Later, the same sun sets over pints in the beer garden of a rural northern English pub, “The Dog & Gun”.
A strange psychedelic pop track with cut up lyrics about early electronic music pioneer Daphne Oram, with a more progressive guitar feel. The song shifts direction quite radically half way through and features additional vocals from Caro Snatch..
The first of two instrumentals on the album, AbandonwaVe is a bouncy, melodic nod to early Warp records, Fabio Frizzi’s Italian horror soundtracks and chiptune.
“I know I said we’d have our own life, walking down the Curry Mile…”
A double dip recession stomper with strings, acoustic guitar, a driving beat and lyrics by Venezuelan artist and occasional sci-fi writer Norka Osorio. Vocals by Shirokuma.
9. ANTI SOCIETY & UNKLE OVERLORD
“A dainty voiced demon of public school mirth”
Some creepy coalition blues over a jaunty drum n bass backing and funky keyboard riff, once again featuring joint vocals from Shirokuma and Caro Snatch .
10. STIR FRIED BEEF, GREENS AND NOODLES
A simple, short, swaggering chiptune dub instrumental originally constructed for a Shirokuma DJ set at Kyoto Lounge.
“Curtains twitch…you are not alone”
A tribute to the mighty J.G. Ballard and the joys of a new beginning over some driving psychedelic folk riffs. Shirokuma and Caro Snatch again duet on one of the most uplifting songs on the album.
12. MEAD ME AT THE TAVERN
“Raising a glass to human contact, watching it sparkle above”
A rousing drinking song to finish the album…a celebration with a raised flagon and good company, alongside some beautiful acoustic guitar work by Lynskey.
More music and art from the “Abandonware” album collaborators :
More from Caro Snatch :
More from Lynskey :
More from Hypnotique :
More artwork, etc from Norka Osorio :
Shirokuma Abandonware Credits
1. “Don’t Break My Stride !” written by Mark Corrin, additional vocals Carol Churchill
2. “A Propos De Poe” written by Mark Corrin, additional vocals Carol Churchill
3. “When The Doll Comes Alive…” written by Mark Corrin, additional vocals Susi O’Neil
4. “Explore The Ocean Floor” written by Mark Corrin guitar by Paul Millsopp
5. “Sunset Temple” written by Mark Corrin, additional vocals by Naoko Omae
6. “M.O.O.N.D.R.O.P.S” written by Mark Corrin & Carol Curchill, guitar by Paul Millsopp
7. “Abandonwave” written by Mark Corrin
8. “Credit Crunchies” written by Norka Osorio, guitar by Paul Henty, vocals Mark Corrin
9. “Anti Society & Uncle Overlord” music bulit around a reworking of the Commadore 64 theme to “Draconus” originally by Gizmo, lyrics by Caro Churchill and Mark Corrin
10. “Stir Fry Beef, Greens & Noodles” written by Mark Corrin
11. “Shepperton” written by Mark Corrin & vocal improvisations by Carol Churchill
12. “Mead Me At The Tavern” written by Mark Corrin & Paul Henty, additional vocals by Kate Eldred